Are you one of those people who just learned about all the benefits of drinking green tea and want to incorporate it into your diet? If you are then all that stands between you and all the health benefits of green tea is learning how to make green tea. The good news for you is that we here have got 4 easy green tea recipes on how to make green tea from tea bags and tea leaves, how to make iced green tea, and how to make matcha green tea. So, dive in to learn how to make green tea so that you can try these recipes out. Who knows, you might even find your next favorite beverage.
How to Make Green Tea
If you don’t know how to make green tea yet, we are here to tell you 3 simple ways to make green tea. You can make green tea using either premade green tea bags or using green tea leaves.
How to Make Green Tea Using Tea Bags
You can find green tea bags at any of your nearby grocery store or supermarket. It is really easy to make green tea from tea bags. The process is mess free and hence many people prefer this method.
Here are the ingredients and the simple step by step process on how to make green tea:
- Green tea bag
- sugar or honey (optional)
- Take some water in a pot and let it boil. When it has reached the boiling temperature, remove it from the heat and keep it aside to cool for a minute or two.
- Once the water has cooled down a little, put a teabag in a cup, a pour some water over it.
- Let the tea bag sit in the water for a while depending upon how strong you want the tea to be. In about three minutes the tea will be ready. If you want a stronger tea, let the tea bag set in the hot water a little bit longer.
- Once the tea reaches your desired strength, you can remove the teabag. from your tea. You can add sugar or honey for a little touch of sweetness.
How to Make Green Tea Using Green Tea Leaves
If you prefer using green leaves because it is less processed and because it contains comparably less chemicals, you don’t need to worry. Here is a simple way of how to make green tea using tea leaves in a couple of simple steps.
- Green tea leaves
- Warm water
- Sugar or honey (optional)
- Warm some water without boiling it. If you end up boiling it, turn off the heat to stop it from boiling and cool it down a little before reheating it. (There might be a bitter taste if the water boils)
- Once the water is warm, take some green tea leaves in a strainer or a clean muslin cloth pouch put it inside the warm water. You can just put the leaves straight into the water but using a strainer or muslin cloth will make the process a lot less messy.
- After letting the leaves sit in the water for about 30 seconds to a minute, you should remove them. You can leave the leaves for longer if you want the tea to be stronger but the tea might turn bitter if you let the leaves brew for too long.
- Remove the tea from the heat and pour it into a cup or glass. You can add sweeteners like honey or sugar if you want the tea to be sweeter.
- Your green tea is done. Enjoy it with any snacks or just by itself.
Tips on How to Make Green Tea Taste Good
Green tea has a very mild earthy and bittersweet flavor. Depending upon the time you brew it, the taste might be a little bit too strong or too bitter. The main secret of how to make green tea taste good is in the brewing method and time, the ingredients, and some additional factors.
The main thing that determines the taste and flavor of green tea is the temperature it is brewed in and how long it has been boiled. If you want no bitterness in your tea, don’t let the tea leaves or tea bag boil in the water for too long. If you prefer stronger flavors in your tea, boil it a little bit longer.
While learning how to make green tea, you saw the first step is boiling water. So, it should make sense that the kind of water you use will also affect the flavor of the tea.
If you use normal tap water, and the water in your area has a metallic aftertaste, it will be reflected on your tea. Green tea has a very mild flavor, hence it can not mask any kind of flavor your water might have to it. For best results, try it use water with no aftertaste. Filter water or mineral water can be used to ensure the water is aftertaste-free.
You’ve now learned how to make green tea from green tea leaves, but what you might not know is depending upon the brand and quality of tea leaves the taste will differ. High-quality tea leaves have an earthier more sweet taste with no bitter undertones. If that’s the kind of tea you want to drink, try to buy higher quality tea leaves or tea bags.
There are also different types of green leaves, like the Chinese green leaves and the Japanese green leaves. They will also affect the taste of the tea. So, the key here is to try out as many different flavors of green tea as you can and find out whichever one you like the best.
How to Make Iced Green Tea
If you know how to make green tea, then you’d also know the first couple of steps of how to make iced green tea. Iced green tea is also quite easy to make and it is very customizable. You can add mint, or basil, or lemon to add freshness or tartness to your iced tea. It all depends upon the kind of flavor you want to create in your tea. Here is a basic way of how to make iced green tea with minimum effort and maximum refreshing flavor:
- Make some green tea using tea bags or tea leaves using the methods mentioned above. Make the tea a little bit stronger than you would usually make it i.e. let it boil in the water a little bit longer.
- Now pour the tea into a heat-proof jar or glass and add some sugar or honey to it.
- Let the tea cool down and before you serve it, add some ice cubes to it. You could also refrigerate the drink before serving it to make it extra refreshing.
- You can add lemon juice or mint leaves to the tea if you want according to your taste.
How to Make Matcha Green Tea
Now that you have learned some basic ways of how to make green tea, it is time to take it up a notch and learn how to make matcha green tea. You may have tasted matcha in the form of ice cream, but have you tried the traditional tea? If not here is a simple recipe on how to make green tea using matcha:
- Matcha powder – 1/3 teaspoon
- Warm water or milk – 1 cup
- Sugar or honey(optional) – according to taste
- Shift the matcha powder into a cup to avoid any lump formation.
- Now add a little bit of warm water or milk to the cup and whisk it thoroughly and vigorously to make a foamy mixture.
- Now add warm milk or water to the cup and mix it.
- You can add honey or sugar to make the tea a little bit sweeter. Your matcha tea is now ready.
Green Tea Health Benefits
Green tea is one of the most popular beverages out there because of the numerous green tea health benefits. Green tea boosts your immune system and reduces the risk of many life-threatening diseases like cancer and diabetes.
There are a ton of benefits of drinking green tea for skin. It decreases the possibility of skin cancer and works as a moisturizer when added to face packs and masks.
Green tea can also help you lose weight faster. Green tea is one of those teas that work as detoxifies your body and helps you burn fat faster. It is also supposed to be really good at promoting hair growth and improve the health of your scalp.
Now that you know about all the benefits of green tea and how to make green tea, you should add it to you diet as soon as possible.