Sanitizer is one of those items that we use every day that is quite effective at killing the coronavirus disease creating viruses. Due to this very useful property of sanitizers, the demand for it is skyrocketing. The prices of the sanitizers are also increasing day by day. If you are one of those who planned ahead and bought enough sanitizers to last for the next couple of months then good for you. Your planning ahead can save you from a lot of trouble. The ones who did not do that do have the option to make homemade sanitizers. Here is a homemade sanitizer recipe for emergency usage.
How to Make a Homemade Sanitizer
You can make homemade sanitizer using the following ingredients-
- Rubbing alcohol (99% isopropyl alcohol)- 2/3 cups,
- Pure Aloe vera gel- 1/3 cups,
- Some essential oil. For example lavender oil, tea tree oil, peppermint oil, lemon essential oil, etc.- 8-10 drops.
The tools required for making sanitizer using this method are fairly simple. All you need are the following items-
- A Spoon
- A plastic container (preferably a squirt bottle)
- A mixing bowl
Steps to Make a Homemade Sanitizers
- Take the mixing bowl and pour the aloe vera and rubbing alcohol together. Using the spoon mix these two ingredients well. Make sure that the final mixture is smooth and homogeneous.
- Add the essential oil to this smooth mixture one drop at a time. Stir well to incorporate the oil well into the mixture after adding every drop. When the mixture has a smell strong enough to your liking stop adding the oil.
- Use the funnel in order to pour the mixture into the plastic container and fill it up. Screw the lid shut tightly and store it for further use.
- Make sure that all the tools you use to make the sanitizer are thoroughly clean and germs free. Same thing for your hand. If germs are able to get in the sanitizer, it becomes useless.
- Make sure to keep the measurements of the ingredients accurate. Homemade sanitizer with alcohol might irritate your skin if it wasn’t added in the right proportion. So make sure that the proportion of alcohol to aloe vera is exactly 2:1. If the amount of alcohol exceeds this, it may harm your skin. The addition of alcohol below this amount will not be able to kill germs as effectively.
Positive Points Of This Particular Sanitizer
- The alcohol in this formula works in order to kill and remove germs from the surface of your hand.
- Making a homemade sanitizer with aloe vera is beneficial for the skin on your hands. Aloe vera provides moisture to the skin and protects it from the dryness that may be caused by the alcohol.
- Using essential oils will mask the strong smell that alcohol has that is not liked by most people.
So this is how to make a hand sanitizer with 3 ingredients. During outbreaks and pandemics like coronavirus, sanitizers are a very handy tool to carry around. But the use of sanitizers should not replace handwashing. Sanitizers should only be used in a situation when we don’t have access to water or soap in order to wash our hands.
Homemade sanitizers should only be used in case of a shortage of sanitizers at the stores.